Wednesday, May 12, 2010

First Day by Britt Keller

The bus ride to Nature’s Classroom I would have to say kind of stunk. We were all very squished, because we this year we had regular school buses. It was also very loud. Between the radio, the screaming boys, and the squealing girls, it wasn’t the best place for my bus mate/roommate Hannah to sleep. Somehow she managed to look like she was sleeping. The bus ride was spent playing cards (George and Sean’s game went on for I believe a half hour), reading books and magazines, and writing. I actually wrote my rough draft for the bus ride, on the bus. But it really didn’t matter because we got here.

Once we got there an hour and a half later, we went to lunch. We had chicken patties, chips, and stuff from the salad and fruit bars. It was pretty good. After that, we were to our rooms. Our counselors set down the ground rules after the boys headed up to the second floor. (HAHA! Sorry boys, =]) After we got all unpacked in the beautiful rooms, we had a fire drill and the commander in chief Ashley, gave us the speech of what and what not to do. And everything else.

After the speech, we went into our field groups and came up with chants. Emily (A.K.A Eggs) from my field group was the only one who really actually tried to come up with a chant. It came to us putting our hands in the middle of our circle, raising our hands and shouting, “Go field group four!” It was good enough I guess. Then we were assigned our field group leaders. Field group four’s leader was Toast. Not a piece of toast. Her name is Toast. We picked the classes we wanted to take. I took Earth Art with Chickadee. Yes, he is a counselor. We went into the woods. He explained to us that we could only use stuff that wasn’t dead, like, we couldn’t cut down trees. (Like we would. But of course, he was fooling around.) My friend Brooke and I made a tiny tepee out of miniature sticks and made a miniature fire pit in front of it made with the tops of acorns. We threw what looked like pine needles in, with little leaf balls, and birch bark. Chickadee lit it on fire and it actually worked! It was really cool.

The day progressed. We ate pizza for diner and celery sticks and carrots. We had cookies for desert. After that we went over to the Morse Hall. All the counselors did science experiments. Some of them included burning money and flour. We had a lot of fun. After that, some of them put on a show. It was about some weird sea creatures with stars on their stomachs. It was pretty funny.

After the show, Monster and Casey Jones played their guitars to the songs “Here Comes the Sun”, “Umbrella” and “Yomishi fights the robots” or something like that. It was all really relaxing and comfortable. It didn’t matter if you were boy or girl, adult or kid, as long as you liked to sing and have fun and hang out, that’s where you belonged. You were family. I didn’t care if I wasn’t sitting next to one of my friends, singing those songs with everyone made me feel “This is Nature’s Classroom. I’m here to have fun. So lets do this!” And here I am. Writing this blog. This is really fun. Love you family.

No comments:

Post a Comment